Sunday, March 14, 2010

Molly's Potato Salad- Yum, Yum!

Have I ever told you about how I developed my love of baking or my obsession with baking? It's all in the interpretation. One day back in 2006 I was perusing the Internet and i came across a blog. In typically me fashion I developed an almost unhealthy obsession with this one blog that i read constantly, my blog reading slowly dwindled until Then by luck out of luck I stumbled upon Orangette and it changed everything. After reading an entry about Baked Pasta I feel in love and each week I would eagerly await a new post and head immediately to the kitchen to whip up whatever Molly was blogging about. (Did I mention its Molly who authors the blog, that would be helpful information eh?) Fast forward a year and a half and Molly publishes a memoir style cookbook. Needless to say I immediately ran out and purchased it, read it as quickly as possible and began cooking.

The very first recipe in A Homemade Life is for potato salad. Now normally I'm not a big potato salad kinda girl, drop me into a spring time picnic and I'll eat it but I'm not going to declare my undying love. I'm a very picky eater and I prefer potato salads that aren't super mustardy. I passed over the recipe for Burg's Potato Salad until last spring when it started to warm up and I had the strongest craving for potato salad. I called picked up some hamburger, called my roommate Laura and got started. I've been obsessed with this potato salad ever since. For a good three months last super I would make it every Tuesday night and bring it with me when I drove out to see my parents on Wednesday nights.

As soon as it began to warm up a couple weeks ago I decided that I absolutely had to make Burg's Potato Salad. A dinner party was in the works and when hamburgers (or black bean veggie burgers as it was) became the main fair I decided to make potato salad asap. Needless to say this potato salad is practically life changing. It takes considerably more time to make then buying a container of that nasty stuff they make at the store but it is much, much better. And it tastes considerably better on the second day after the flavors have some time to blend. Get cooking kiddies, you're gonna love this.

Burg's Potato Salad

from A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg


2 pounds of red potatoes
4 large eggs
8 scallions (white and pale green parts only) thinly sliced
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c mayonnaise
4 tbsp Ranch dressing
2 tbsp dill, finely chopped

Put the potatoes in a large pan and add cold water to cover by 1 inch. Add a dash salt, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain them and rinse with cold water. Set them aside to cool. (I normally put them in the fridge to speed things up, but I'm not a very patient person either). When the potatoes are cool, cut them into 1 inch chunks and put them into a large bowl.

While the potatoes are cooking plane the eggs in a small saucepan and add cold water to cover. Now listen carefully and trust Molly completely. Bring eggs to a boil over medium-high heat. When the water begins to boil remove the pan from heat, cover it and let the eggs sit it the water for exactly 12 minutes (seems anal retentive but trust Molly, trust!) Immediately rinse the eggs in cold water. When they are cool peel them chop coarsely and add to the potatoes. Add the scallions and salt, then mix together.

In a small bowl combine the ranch, mayonnaise and dill. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and mix coating equally. You may wanna add some salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment